Newtown-Avoca Historical Society & Sweet Vale of Avoca Museum
1906 "Souvenir of Avoca." Fred Tanke Implement and Grain Elevator was built about 1887. It was sold to August Hager in 1926. It was converted to a Cold Storage plant in the late 1930's by William Bornholdt. It was then sold to Herb Schilling in 1941, later to Arthur Hagedorn and then to Harold Johnson. In 1976 Terry Carley purchased the building from the Tanke Estate, and later it was razed. The property was later sold to the Historical Society for a Museum site, which proved unsatisfactory. It was then traded to Bob McCarthy, who now owns it.